I love to repurpose all kinds of things, and frames are one of my favorite items to alter. When I spotted a cute collection of bright miniatures I had to grab a few. I love mood boards and idea books. I would have them everywhere, but am limited, on what I call, Display Space.
Thinking about this I thought it would be fun to create a miniature version. My frame is only 4.25 x 4.25 inches square, with an opening of 2.75 x 2.75 square. Super tiny and super sweet! I think I will use these as party favors at our next birthday bash! Want to make one? or Twenty?
Here is what I did ------------->
1. Gather your supplies -----> a frame, scrap of fabric, decorative bobby pins, assorted embellishments, wide elastic band, glue gun or permanent adhesive, my favorite scissors and ruler, a silicone mat and an exacto knife.
2. Open back of frame and take the glass or plastic out of your frame. Mine was fashioned with plastic so I carefully cut the plastic out of the frame using an exacto knife. -----> These knives are sharp. Please use extreme caution when cutting with them.
3. Measure the window opening of your frame. Cut fabric to a slightly larger size than this and set aside.
4. Line one edge of window opening with a thin bead line of glue. Attach fabric, press into place and let dry. Repeat with other three edges of window opening, stretching the fabric taut as you go. Let dry. Close back of frame and trim excess fabric as needed.
5. Open first bobby pin and slide over the silicone mat, making sure mat is firmly between both sides of pin. Turn mat over and apply a thin bead line of glue to back side of pin. Adhere in place on fabric. Let dry, carefully remove mat. Repeat with second pin.
6. Cut your elastic band. Position on fabric and trim as needed. Place a thin bead line of glue on one end of band and attach to fabric. Hold in place for a few seconds. Let dry. Repeat with second side of band.
7. Select and position your embellishments and adhere in place. I chose to layer up a few varying sizes of crocheted flowers and a pretty fabric brad.
There you have it! A pretty little repurposed frame! Tack on a pretty word, a photograph, or reminder - now be inspired!
-------------> WOULD YOU RATHER WIN THIS ONE? I am giving it away on the ART TO THE 5TH BLOG. Head on over to read the post and enter for your chance to win!
UPDATE ! WE HAVE A WINNER ! CONGRATULATIONS ---> TERRI TURNER!
Enjoy the process!
*as an amazon affiliate, I receive a small incentive if you purchase a product through these links*